Monday, August 5, 2024

What My Bones Know: A Memoir of Healing from Complex Trauma by Stephanie Foo 🔖🔖🔖🔖


First published February 22, 2022 

__________    

Literary awards: Goodreads Choice Award Nominee for Memoir & Autobiography 2022

__________

A searing memoir of reckoning and healing by acclaimed journalist Stephanie Foo, investigating the little-understood science behind complex PTSD and how it has shaped her life

...

In this deeply personal and thoroughly researched account, Foo interviews scientists and psychologists and tries a variety of innovative therapies. She returns to her hometown of San Jose, California, to investigate the effects of immigrant trauma on the community, and she uncovers family secrets in the country of her birth, Malaysia, to learn how trauma can be inherited through generations. Ultimately, she discovers that you don't move on from trauma--but you can learn to move with it.

Powerful, enlightening, and hopeful, What My Bones Know is a brave narrative that reckons with the hold of the past over the present, the mind over the body--and examines one woman's ability to reclaim agency from her trauma. (Source: goodreads)

__________

I became aware of this book when a client mentioned it to me and I had to join in the journey to read through it. I am so glad I did. Not only could I relate in may ways to how trauma shaped Stephanie, I related to a lot of her healing journey. As a bonus, I learned many things I can use to help others. 

Highly recommended. 

No comments:

Post a Comment