Saturday, January 27, 2024

The Glass Menagerie by Tennessee Williams πŸ”–πŸ”–


First published January 1, 1945 

__________

Awards: New York Drama Critics' Circle Award 1945

__________

  • The Glass Menagerie is a memory play, and its action is drawn from the memories of the narrator, Tom Wingfield. Tom is a character in the play, which is set in St. Louis in 1937. He is an aspiring poet who toils in a shoe warehouse to support his mother, Amanda, and sister, Laura. (Source: sparknotes)

__________

Even my second reading could not get me any more invested in these characters. I found the mother annoying and grating, Tom was too interested in escape to be much use to his family, Laura was hard to relate to, and Jim ... what an ass.

I didn't miss the symbolism of Laura's glass collection and the unicorn, the damage, and who the instigator of that damage was. I think that symbolism is the only redeeming thing for me about the play.

No comments:

Post a Comment