Monday, May 27, 2024

All Boys Aren't Blue: A Memoir-Manifesto by George M. Johnson 🔖🔖🔖🔖


First published April 28, 2020
__________

Literary awards: Goodreads Choice Award Nominee for Memoir & Autobiography 2020

__________

In a series of personal essays, prominent journalist and LGBTQIA+ activist George M. Johnson explores his childhood, adolescence, and college years in New Jersey and Virginia. From the memories of getting his teeth kicked out by bullies at age five, to flea marketing with his loving grandmother, to his first sexual relationships, this young-adult memoir weaves together the trials and triumphs faced by Black queer boys.

Both a primer for teens eager to be allies as well as a reassuring testimony for young queer men of color, All Boys Aren't Blue covers topics such as gender identity, toxic masculinity, brotherhood, family, structural marginalization, consent, and Black joy. Johnson's emotionally frank style of writing will appeal directly to young adults. (Source: goodreads)

__________

I looked forward to reading this book since I started collecting banned books a few years ago. I was not disappointed. I found this to be genuine, raw, pure, and loveable. Representation matters.

“You sometimes don’t know you exist until you realize someone like you existed before.”
― George M. Johnson, All Boys Aren’t Blue

“Navigating in a space that questions your humanity isn’t really living at all. It’s existing. We all deserve more than just the ability to exist.”
― George M. Johnson, All Boys Aren't Blue

“Symbolism gives folks hope. But I’ve come to learn that symbolism is a threat to actual change—it’s a chance for those in power to say, “Look how far you have come” rather than admitting, “Look how long we’ve stopped you from getting here.”
― George M. Johnson, All Boys Aren't Blue

“Love who you want to love, and do it unapologetically, including that face you see every day in the mirror.”
― George M. Johnson, All Boys Aren’t Blue
__________

Why was this book banned?

This book contains sexual nudity; sexual activities including sexual assault; alternate gender ideologies; profanity and derogatory terms; alcohol and drug use; and controversial racial commentary.

Before I get to my take on all this, I think it's important to read the author's take.  

"In writing this book, I wanted to be as authentic and truthful about my experience as possible. I wanted my story to be told in totality: the good, the bad, and the things I was always too afraid to talk about publicly. This meant going to places and discussing some subjects that are often kept away from teens for fear of them being 'too heavy.' 
"But the truth of the matter is, these things happened to me when I was a child, teenager, and young adult. So as heavy as these subjects may be, it is necessary that they are not only told, but also read by teens who may have to navigate many of these same experiences in their own lives." (George M. Johnson, All Boys Aren't Blue, p. vii).

Sexual nudity: I know words can carry a lot to a reader and allow them to picture exactly the nude body part being described, yet I do not recall any such description in this book. 

Sexual activities:  yes, in great detail - male with male. Again, the author intends for youth to be more educated than he was. 

"I wish I had known then what you know now. But I don't regret any of my sexual experiences. And to be honest, this was the scariest chapter for me to write. Because this chapter involves vulnerability with the world that I'm still not sure I'm ready to share. My first experience was full of pleasure. My second was full of pain. But I went through that and have shared it so maybe you won't have to.
"Will this part of my story be met with pushback? Absolutely. But I'll be damned if I don't tell it because of fear. My greatest fear is that queer teens will be left to trial and error in their sexual experience. It's worth me feeling a little embarrassed so that you are all a bit more prepared." (George M. Johnson, All Boys Aren't Blue, pp. 275 - 276)

Sexual assault: The author was taken advantage of as a youth by an older cousin and no detail is spared, including the author's conflicting emotions. 

Alternate gender identities: Yep.  They exist and this book talks about them without shame. 

Profanity and derogatory terms:  Yes. Mostly related to the author's identities using the N-word and the Fa-word. The most prevalent curse word is the S-word said 11 times. As far as the derogatory terms, once again, the author:  

"I included these slurs in the text in specific ways for specific emotional and intellectual effect. Please use the same thoughtfulness when talking about this book. If you don't identify as Black, African American, or Queer, don't use these slurs in full, which can be harmful to others. You can use common abbreviations, like n-word or f-word instead."  (George M. Johnson, All Boys Aren't Blue, p. viii).

Alcohol and drug use: There is minimal alcohol use discussed, and discussion of the use of marijuana, including the author's realization of the negative effects and decision to live that out differently at that time. 

Controversial racial commentary:  Meaning? Open discussion of rampant racism from the past and that which exists today and how it effects the lives of those who are forced to live it? Get over yourself. 

Would I want my teenager to read this? Especially if he were of the Queer variety, absolutely, once he reaches the age where he begins to date. Then we'd talk more about consent, speaking about your needs during intimacy, and the use of condoms. 

No comments:

Post a Comment